We are looking for a dynamic individual to help lead our farm operations and help us take Growing Places Indy to the next level.
Director of Farm Operations
The overall objective of the Director of Farm Operations is to grow the farm operations to become a self-sustaining initiative strategically and, over time, a sustainable alternative funding stream for Growing Places Indy’s educational programming and outreach efforts. Partnering with Executive Director to ensure there is alignment to the vision and mission of Growing Places Indy in all farming activities. The Director of Farm Operations reports to the Executive Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for complete end to end operations of the farm to include PNL, cleanliness, food, and safety
- Routinely build and lead relationships with key partners in the communities we serve while championing the organization’s mission and supporting revenue-driving projects
- Oversee and manage all farming work (greenhouses, high tunnel and field crops) Oversee the maintenance of equipment and facilities, ensuring that the appropriate systems for scheduling maintenance and ordering parts and supplies are in place
- Oversee and manage logistics for the organizations signature events including summer Farm Stand, and Plant Sale
- Maintain overall responsibility for the farm’s performance, including safety, quality, cost, productivity, and revenue goals
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with state standards, quality, sanitation, and Food Safety standards
- Onboard, train and manage full, part-time and volunteer farming staff to ensure staffing needs are met from season to season
- Oversee production to ensure profitability to create and maintain employment opportunities for farmers
- Oversee the operations team to ensure that the farm stays on schedule, from seeding, transplanting to harvest to packaging to cleaning, and delivery
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits
- Collect and analyze data to proactively identify production issues or develop plans to resolve existing issues
- Provide a safe working environment by maintaining equipment while following Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs)
- Ensure employees and volunteers have the right tools, knowledge, and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
- In partnership with Executive Director, set and manage farm budget and manage all financial decisions for the farm
- Work with financial manager weekly on invoicing and farm financial tracking
- Other duties assigned
Who You Are:
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in farming operations, crop production and food safety with demonstrated ability to run an intricate 24 hour 7 day a week operation
- Adept at building collaborative relationships and demonstrating diplomacy with diverse constituencies, including area farmers, restaurants, retailers, community pantries and academics
- A team player with an entrepreneurial spirit and understands the importance of building and fostering relationships that deliver results
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and superior management skills
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Multi-site operations management experience
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective and timely leadership decisions
- Ability to work with team members and a diverse volunteer base to implement annual program goals
- Demonstrate drive and an ownership mentality
- Growth-oriented and dynamic; self-disciplined
- Maintain a professional demeanor at all times
The position is based in Downtown Indianapolis at Growing Places Indy at 727 N Oriental St, Indianapolis, IN 46202
- Travel is required between our three satellite farm lots and additional travel for farming consulting visits.
- Compensation and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.