What: Growing Places Indy – Community Workday and Rain Barrel Making Workshop
Where: The Slow Food Garden at White River State Park
When: Sunday – June 27, 2010, 1-4 p.m.
The Slow Food Garden is located next to the Segway rental (just south of the main entrance to the State Museum) within White River State Park along Washington Street. (#17 on the map: http://www.in.gov/whiteriver/about/map.html)
Details of the day are as follows:
Community Workday – 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Growing Places Indy is committed to cultivating the culture of food and urban agriculture, and this is your opportunity to help cultivate our Slow Food Garden.
· Co-Directors Laura Henderson and Matthew Jose will provide volunteers with a tour of the farm and lead volunteers in the work of the day, be it weeding, seeding, transplanting or more.
· Snacks and water will be provided so please bring a cup/bottle for filling your own water.
· You can continue with work day tasks until 4 p.m., or join the rain barrel workshop at 3 p.m.
Please contact Laura Henderson (email@example.com) by Friday, June 25 at 5:00pm to let us know you will be attending. More information about Growing Places Indy can be found at www.growingplacesindy.org.
Rain Barrel Making Workshop – 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm
If you have been thinking about getting a rain barrel, but haven’t got around to buying or building one as yet, here is your chance!
· You can watch and learn how to construct and use your own rain barrel for FREE.
· Or, you can make one of your own to take home to start collecting rainwater for your own gardens for $70 (Cash or check only, collected the day of the workshop). Cost includes a 55 gallon food grade barrel, all hardware and materials and barrel conversion demonstration AND helps to raise money to keep the work of Growing Places Indy growing.
· Either way, you’ll gain the experience to make as many future rain barrels as your heart desires!
Space is limited in the rain barrel workshop, so please reserve a place with Tyler Henderson (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, June 25 at 5:00pm.
Thanks to our good friend Renee Sweany and Green Piece Indy for the shoot-out today in the Green Piece Indy tip of the week! Join their e-mail list so you too can receive all of their fantastic weekly tips for greener living and to be in the know about events around town!