When many people think of the phrase “farmers market,” it’s almost like you can instantly feel the sun warming your skin and taste the juiciness of that Indiana heirloom tomato. The Indy Winter Farmers Market is here to let you know that farm fresh, seasonal, healthy, sustainable and organic produce is still available–even after the temperatures cool! Throughout the season, the IWFM blog will provide readers with fun, fresh ways to spice up your meals while still featuring fresh and local products.
The Indy Winter Farmers Market runs Saturdays from 9am-12:30pm starting November 14th. Join us at The Platform (202 E Market St, in the west wing of the Indianapolis City Market). Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more information.
This week’s recipe is courtesy of Foodie with Family.
- 1 pound butternut squash, trimmed, scraped of seeds, and sliced into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed, and left whole, halved, or quartered, depending on size, to about ¾ of an inch in size.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage links, pierced several times with a sharp knife
- 2 medium yellow or red cooking onions, trimmed, peeled, and cut into wedges that are 1-inch at their thickest/point
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, according to heat tolerance
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss the butternut squash and Brussels sprouts pieces with the olive oil and salt. Spread it out on a sheet pan and nestle the sweet Italian sausage links among the vegetables. Distribute the onion wedges evenly around the pan. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes, turning the sausages after about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the sausages are beginning to brown in places.