Young Grow Getters
Young Grow Getters is a paid, six-week intensive hands-on youth agriculture program led by industry professionals in sustainable farming, culinary arts, food production, and technology, offering real-world experience and career-readiness skills. Growing Places Indy will teach students vital aspects of urban agriculture through a robust and engaging curriculum.
Applications for the 2022 Season are closed.
Applications will open later in 2022 for the 2023 program. More information on the application process will be posted in the fall.
The Young Grow Getters program is 9 am – 5 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from Early June to Mid July. Breakfast and lunch will be provided for free every day.
The program will be located on the Near Eastside of Indianapolis at 727 N Oriental Street, Indianapolis, IN 46202.
- 15-18 years of age and a High School student within Marion County
- Commit to six weeks of paid summer work (15 hours a week)
- Willing to work hard and a desire to grow personally
- Commit one hour per day to take-home work during the program
What You Will Learn
- History of Urban Farming/Urban Farming
- Crop Planning
- Organic Growing Practices
- Food Safety
- Career Readiness
What to Expect
During the program, you’ll get your hands dirty and learn career readiness skills while working on our urban farm.
Weekly activities may vary, but students should expect:
- To check in as a group, and then you will be broken up into groups to tackle your farm tasks.
- Participate in agriculture lessons and be required to take home an hour of weekly readings and ‘listenings’ (videos, podcasts, etc.), which you will discuss as a group.
- Explore Indianapolis’ food scene and see the work of amazing organizations through weekly field trips to local organizations, including Tyner Pond, Indy Urban Acres, Public Greens Farm, and more.
- Take a moment to check-in with your mind, body, and spirit and engage in gentle yoga sessions.
- Attend workshops to learn topics, including farming 101, regenerative agriculture, financial, business planning, and more.
During the program, you’ll work as a team on a final project. At the end of the program, you will be required to present a final presentation as a team. This will be an opportunity to showcase what you’ve learned. You’ll leave the program with new friends, connections, a resume, and skills that will benefit you throughout your life.
Applications for the 2023 Season coming soon.
This program is made possible by: