Recipe created by HealthyMe Colleen Kincius
Celeriac, Carrot, and Apple Salad
- 2 sweet-tart apples, such as Gala or Fuji, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1 celeriac (aka celery root), cut into matchsticks
- 2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1.5 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, toss the apples and celeriac with the lemon juice and let stand for 5 minutes. This helps to keep them from browning.
- Add the raisins and carrots. Toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, and oil. Pour over the salad, season with salt and pepper, and toss until evenly coated.
Nutrition – Celeriac is contains vitamins C, E, K, selenium lutein, zeaxanthin, and omega-3 fatty acids which work together to keep the heart healthy.
Tip – To peel celeriac, first start by chopping the ends off. If it comes with green stalks on one end, save them along with other kitchen scraps to make stock. Cut the remaining peel off in vertical strips from top to bottom.