This application is now closed.
Assistant Farm Manager
Part-Time (Hourly) – $12
Growing Places Indy is looking for an energetic, hard-working, experienced Assistant Farm Manager. We are located in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis, IN, and our operation includes four urban lots and two large greenhouse spaces. We are committed to building a more just and equitable food system in Indianapolis through urban farming, food access, mind-body education, and entrepreneurship.
Under the direction of the Executive Director and Farm Team, you will support the farm in all aspects of implementing the farm plan, from field prep to post-harvest handling, to marketing and distribution.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for growing the best tasting food in a way that is good for the land. This position requires an individual who desires to grow their farming and knowledge skills. This position also requires someone who exhibits strong communication skills. Applicants should enjoy leadership and a collaborative approach, as both are essential to success in this position.
The Assistant Farm Manager’s responsibilities are as follows: :
- Support all farm work (greenhouses, high tunnel and field crops)
- Oversee the maintenance of equipment and facilities, ensuring that the appropriate systems for scheduling maintenance and ordering parts and supplies are in place
- Manage logistics for the organization’s signature events, including the Summer Farm Stand and Plant Sale
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with state, quality, sanitation, and food safety standards
- Oversee production to ensure profitability to create and maintain employment opportunities for farmers
- Oversee the operations team to ensure that the farm stays on schedule, from seeding and transplanting, to harvest, to packaging, cleaning, and delivery
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits
- Provide a safe working environment by maintaining equipment while following Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs)
- Ensure volunteers have the right tools, knowledge, and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely
- Maintain a positive attitude and team cohesion amongst the field crew
- Other duties as assigned
- At least one year of work experience on diversified and/or vegetable farms
- Desire and passion for working outdoors, with seasonally heavy workloads and public interaction
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs and work long hours in all types of weather conditions
- Educate volunteers and customers about our farm, our produce, and the value of local food systems
- Represent the values of the company while interacting with anyone on site
- Experience prioritizing projects, scheduling, executing bed prep, seeding, weeding, harvesting, and setting up irrigation (overhead and drip) systems
- Organic disease and pest management
- Clean driving record, valid driver’s license, and ability to drive
- Familiarity with Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) standards
- Fluency or familiarity with the following software:
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Square
The position is based in Downtown Indianapolis at Growing Places Indy at 727 N Oriental St, Indianapolis, IN 46202. Please note that travel is required between our three satellite farm lots and farm stands.