Growing Places Indy is looking for an energetic, hard-working, experienced Farm Manager. We are located in the heart of Downtown Indianapolis, IN, and our operation includes four urban lots and two large greenhouse spaces. We are committed to building a more just and equitable food system in Indianapolis through urban farming, food access, mind-body education, and entrepreneurship.
The Farm Manager will report to the Executive Director, work in partnership with the farm team and support the farm in all aspects of implementing the farm plan, from field prep to post-harvest handling, marketing, and distribution.
We are looking for someone who shares our passion for growing the best tasting food in a way that is good for the land. This position requires an individual who desires to expand their farming skills. This position also requires someone who exhibits strong communication skills. Applicants should enjoy working outdoors, with a leadership approach and team player spirit, as both are essential to success in this position.
The Farm Manager’s responsibilities are as follows:
- Support all farm work (greenhouses, high tunnel, and field crops)
- Assist in overseeing the maintenance of equipment and facilities, ensuring that the appropriate systems for scheduling maintenance and ordering parts and supplies are in place
- Managing logistics for the organization’s signature events, including the Summer Farm Stand and Plant Sale
- Maintain production areas to ensure compliance with state, quality, sanitation, and food safety standards
- Support the farm team to ensure that the farm stays on schedule, from seeding and transplanting to harvest to packaging, cleaning, and delivery
- Identify and implement methods and practices to achieve operational improvements in efficiency, quality, delivery, and operating profits.
- Provide a safe working environment by maintaining equipment while following Good Agricultural Practices (GAPs)
- Train, manage volunteers, and ensure they have the right tools, knowledge, and equipment required to do their jobs effectively and safely.
- Maintain a positive attitude and team cohesion amongst the field crew
- Other duties as assigned
- At least one year of work experience on diversified or vegetable farms
- Desire and passion for working outdoors, with seasonally heavy workloads and public interaction
- Ability to lift 50+ lbs and work long hours in all types of weather conditions
- Educate volunteers and customers about our farm, our produce, and the value of local food systems
- Represent the values of the company while interacting with anyone on site
- Experience in prioritizing projects, scheduling, executing bed prep, seeding, weeding, harvesting, and setting up irrigation (overhead and drip) systems
- Organic disease and pest management
- Clean driving record, valid driver’s license, and ability to drive
- Familiarity with Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) standards
- Fluency or familiarity with the following software:
- Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Dropbox, Square
The position is based in Downtown Indianapolis at Growing Places Indy at 727 N Oriental St, Indianapolis, IN 46202. Please note that travel is required between our three satellite farm lots and farm stands.
Pay will be determined based on experience.
If interested, please send your resume to email@example.com and include in the subject line, Farm Manager.